The Grenfell tragedy has resulted in a number of changes being implemented in respect of the Building Regulations in connection with ‘combustible materials.
RICS, the BSA and UK Finance agreed an industry-wide process which would be used by valuers, lenders, building owners and fire safety experts in the valuation of high-rise properties. This is where Form EWS1 becomes relevant, and why consultants have been asked to sign this Form.
The process is as follows:
- Valuer instructed by lender
- Valuer checks whether building has External Wall System (EWS) Form
- If yes – valuer acts depending on Form content
- If no – the following process starts:
RICS Guidance Options A and B is as follows:
Option A for buildings “where the materials used in the external wall would be unlikely to support combustion”. Additionally, the consultant has also to select one of:
- A1 which confirms there are no attachments whose construction includes significant quantities of combustible materials
- A2: which confirms that following an appropriate risk assessment of the attachments no remedial works are required
- A3 is of particular concern and indicates that there may be potential costs of remedial works to the attachments”
Option B is “where combustible materials are present in external wall”.
B1 is where there are combustible materials but, in the opinion of the fire expert, works are not required;
B2 is where works are required. You should obtain the cost of remediation works, refer to lender guidance and reflect in your valuation.
External wall system & how LBS can help
LBS has a panel of qualified surveyors to offer the EWS1 form. All of our surveyors have the necessary credentials:
- Fully qualified to carry out The External Wall Fire Review
- Full Professional Indemnity Insurance in place
- Accredited & Qualified Fire Engineers
- RICS registered
- Ability to complete the review within ten working days from engagement
- EWS1 certification for developments where work has not started and for completed projects
- EWS1 certificate will be valid for five years, and only one assessment is required for each building
If you have an immediate requirement or wish to speak with a member of our team, get in touch;
Tel 0203 701 0420